|Mine Rescue/Rescue Teams|
As long as men have mined there has been mine rescue - a mine rescue built on the bond of trust developed between workers in this always hostile environment. As societies appetite for goods and services grew in the last half of the nineteenth century, miners were required to work deeper, faster and harder - sometimes pushing beyond the limits of technology.
Coal mining had always been a dangerous occupation, however
by the first decade of the 20th century as demand for coal
increased, so did the dangers. Something had to give. In 1909,
after a series of gas outbursts at the Carbonado Colliery at
Morrissey and an explosion at the Extension mine on Vancouver
Island, the mines act was re-written requiring among others that
every coal mine be equipped oxygen breathing apparatus. It also
mandated that central supply stations for the training of rescue
corps established and maintained by the Government. This marked
the beginning of formalized mine rescue in B.C. The
station was established at
Hosmer by fall 1910.